Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Got Milk?
Don’t you hate it when you have the taste for something only to discover that what you’ve just put in your mouth is not it?  You know what I mean…your mind thinks you’re about to take a swig of some sweet iced tea, but you’ve somehow forgotten in the passing 30 seconds after your last sip that you do not have a glass of tea in front  of you.  You have a plain glass of water instead.  What a disappointment.  My taste buds may not be sophisticated enough to know the difference between a Pinot Noir or a Merlot – unless my eyes have also seen the label- but they certainly are not so dumb as to confuse water with sweet tea.

Is it possible that this brain to taste conundrum also happens for us spiritually and emotionally?  After a personal experience this week, I think it is.  Two times in Scripture there is talk of milk vs. solid food (1 Corinthians 3 and Hebrews 5).  Both references seem to come with – dare I say it- a slight bit of sarcasm attached.  Not that the Lord is sarcastic- He is as straight forward as they come, but because both references are corrections to the Church (credited to the Apostle Paul)- there is that hint of “you should know better.” 

While I expected solid food this week, the Lord was quick to remind me that sometimes what I really need is milk.  Was it for correction?  Maybe.  Was it a good reminder?  For sure.

First, let me be honest (this is Straight Talk after all)…
I’ve been complaining lately.  I’ve been complaining a lot lately.  I’ve complained about my job.  I’ve complained about my job.  I’ve complained about my job.  And…I’ve complained about my job.  Yep, there is a theme, and it’s not a good one. 

The complaining has been about the work load, the pay, the idea that I’m underappreciated…you name it, and I had a complaint.  I’ve worn out pages in my journal as well as my friends’ ears.  I know now that the Lord got pretty tired of it all too because He got busy pouring me a big glass of milk.

In the midst of planning a lesson for some children, I was the one who got the lesson.  It was Labor Day weekend, so what better to talk about than work; working with all our heart- working for the Lord, not for men.  (Colossians 3:23) 

This was so easy; it was going to write itself.  I would talk about chores, work, and how we all have things we have to do- some we don’t mind, and others we hate. I would talk about how we’re willing to do some things for free and others only for a price.  I would give great kid-friendly examples.  After all the building up, I would hit them with the verse from Colossians.  To drive it home I’d tell them the story of Nehemiah rebuilding the walls of Jerusalem.  Easy.   

Lesson- written.  Materials- ready.  Then…the night before I was going to teach, as I was reviewing the lesson, the verse, my examples, and the follow up games, God was taking out that gallon of milk and starting to pour.  The more I reviewed, the more I realized this lesson may be for the children, but it was also for me. 

Colossians 3:23 – “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men…”

Every time I read it, the emphasis landed on “Whatever.”  The glass of milk was filling up – quickly.  Whatever you do…whatever you do…whatever you do.  It doesn’t matter if it’s something you like or not. It doesn’t matter if you get paid or not.  It doesn’t matter if you get a trophy or even a simple pat on the back.  Whatever you do…whatever you do…whatever you do.  Milk, milk, milk. 

I swallowed my milk in big gulps, and I actually enjoyed it.  The funny thing is- I don’t like milk.  I actually really despise milk.  (It all goes back to drinking it warm at dinner as a kid- but that’s a different story) 

So, why did something I dislike so much go down so well?  Because my God not only corrects me, He also knows and loves me.  Knowing I’d have a hard time swallowing milk, God put some delicious chocolate syrup in it for me.  God sweetened this correction with a promise. 

Colossians 3:23 continues into verse 24 this way…
“…since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” 

I got milk and it was good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment