Thursday, February 11, 2016

Can I Really Give Up "Law and Order" for Lent?

Ash Wednesday was yesterday which means Lent has officially begun.  This means fasting, this means abstaining, this means sacrifice.  In my mind and heart I know these things are necessary and right in order to fully focus on how Jesus suffered for me.  Of course the fleshy part of my being wanders in another direction at first. 

Like, why did I forget to indulge on “fat Tuesday” before Wednesday got here?  It’s like making the decision to start a diet.  Don’t we all want our favorite foods “one more time” before starting the diet?!  Starting Lent seems much the same way.  If we’ve decided to give up sweets, then don’t we want the biggest and best piece of cake right before we give all that up? Maybe this is how the tradition of a King Cake on Fat Tuesday began in the first place. Someone somewhere said, “Let’s eat cake before we can’t!”  (If that’s a real quote then I apologize for plagiarizing) 

Once I give up my disappointment in forgetting to indulge (seriously, did I need to remember that?!) then I go through the laundry list of things I should give up.  I’m not big on fasting food or drink but instead choose to abstain from an activity.  This sounds crazy for someone who loves food - seriously, I love food- but fasting a food or drink is just not hard enough.  If I’m busy I can go all day and forget to eat.  Giving up breakfast, lunch, or even dinner would not be too far from a typical day for me.  I’ve tried giving up coffee in the past but all it did was give me a headache.  Did I pray more during that time? Yes- but mainly for my headache to go away, and not much else.  This didn’t seem too productive so I decided that wasn’t the best route for me.  

Abstaining from an activity that takes up my time has always worked a little better for me.  I can use that now “free” time to focus on the Lord.  And here again is where I get bogged down with ALL the things I should give up…

Too much TV.  I have what can only be described as an obsession…an obsession with "Law and Order."  To be clear, I like the old ones…the original- no special letters or words after the title for me.  I live a simple life when it comes to my obsessions.  Seriously, I have a DVR that is 80% full right now and most of that is "Law and Order" episodes.  

Facebook- I post very little but I LOVE looking at what everyone else posts. I don’t live vicariously through the life of others, I’m just nosey- or curious- whichever sounds less weird.  

Falling asleep in my leather chair.  This is a real thing…a real problem.  I do it more than I’m willing to admit even to myself.  This seems like a silly thing to give up for Lent and really an easy fix, but it’s about adding in another discipline to give this one up.  That discipline would be going to bed at a decent hour.  I’ve actually thought about and asked the Lord if it’s okay to add something during Lent as a way of giving something up.  The jury is still out on this one but I think I already know the answer. “This has nothing to do with Lent- just turn off the lights and go to bed!”  Got it.  

Clutter.  I feel pretty good about this in general.  I’ve moved so many times over the past few years that I’ve cleaned out plenty of junk, but there is always room for improvement.  I can’t stuff one more t-shirt in my drawers, my jewelry is such a mess that I have things I’ve forgotten I have, and the clothes…the shoes.  TOO.MANY.THINGS.IN.CLOSET.  #ineedtogivethingsaway

The list could go on and on…

Okay...it's going to be Facebook, too much TV (I'll have to ask the Lord what is too much).  Now the Fat Tuesday thing is really stuck in my crawl.  Why didn't I do a "Law and Order" marathon on Tuesday?!  Even asking that question makes it abundantly clear why I have to give it up! 

The point of Lent is sacrifice for the sake of focusing on the Lord; more accurately (for me at least) it’s focusing WITH the Lord.  When I abstain from the things I enjoy or the habits I’ve created, I’m giving God space to work.  So…whether it’s the free time I create by staying off Facebook, watching less TV, or being quiet in my bed (not the chair) I’m excited to see what God does with the room I’ve made for Him in my life.  

On the other side of sacrifice...I’m hoping for some work to be done in several areas which- for now- I’ll keep to myself.  
Nosey…curious?  I won’t be putting those things on Facebook so if you’re either, you’ll have to read it here.  



No comments:

Post a Comment