Thursday, August 31, 2017

Can a Temple Ride a Bike?

I heard a news report yesterday about an event happening in one of our nations oldest and most historically-flush cities, Philadelphia.

The event is a nude bike ride.  You read that correctly…nude bike ride.  Now, if you’re like me, your first thought may have been, “what does that mean? Is the bike lacking something normally on a bike…is it ‘nude’ of color, handlebars, a seat, wheels, what…?” 

Nope, the name is actually “The Philly Naked Bike Ride” and it really means Ride!A!Bike!Nude! Let it soak in. Go there visually.  Cringe a couple of times. Play all the jokes in your head.  Like… “The Liberty Bell is not the only thing with a crack we’ll see in Philly.” Or… “There are more stares at this race than Rocky ran.”  Okay, forget the bad jokes.  Go back to the whole idea of riding a bike naked. Cringe a couple more times and join me in a unanimous, ‘WHAT IN THE WORLD!?’

A few thousand people will participate in this annual bike ride, promoting healthy body image and fuel consciousness.  I’m not sure how body image and being fuel conscious go together so let’s just concentrate on one part of it- healthy body image. 

Now, I’m ALL for promoting that, but there has got to be a better way than riding a bike in your birthday suit.  Let’s wear shorts and tank tops or maybe a bathing suit, but NUDE?  I’m not sure that promotes anything other than exhibitionism and voyeurism. 

Who is doing this race?  More importantly, and quite possibly scarier...who is watching this race? Maybe I’ll cautiously concede to the idea that riders are trying to make a needed statement about being loud and proud with their bodies, no matter the shape or size.  What I can’t fathom is understanding what kind of person wouldn’t ride nude themselves, but would get up early on Saturday morning to stand on the side of the road and watch others’ fleshy parts go zooming by?! 

Are unhealthy body images a problem in our country?  Yes, for sure. I, like many other women spend way too much time thinking about how I look, what I would love to change, what diet may do the trick this time and pondering the idea of surgical help- if money were not a factor.  Our young girls…younger and younger every year in fact…have so many warped ideas of beauty staring them in the face day in and day out, that it’s no wonder many of them end up with eating disorders.  (Let’s not forget this is a problem for boys too, but that’s another topic)

My point is, yes, we need to be proud or at the very least ‘okay’ with the body we have.  God created these bodies of ours. They are not perfect nor were they meant to be. Our bodies are temporary vessels, but vessels with purpose.  In actuality, our bodies are not our own so we have no right to use and abuse or flaunt them.

I Corinthians 6:19-20: Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore, honor God with your bodies.

Is laying a vessel of the living God bare on the altar of voyeurism honoring and glorifying to Him Who lives in us?

My opinion is no, but then again…my vessel is cracking, saggy and pudgy in all the wrong places. Maybe if my vessel looked 22 instead of 52...?
Nope. I think I can confidently say, I’m out either way.

I don’t claim to have the answers for myself or anyone else when it comes to maintaining a healthy view and opinion of these funny things we call bodies.  I do however hold fast to the Truths laid out in 1Corinthians 6, as well as these from Romans 12:1-2: Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Will the act of riding a bike nude renew anyone’s mind in a way that transforms a life?

Will ANYTHING we do outside of true authentic worship of the living God renew our minds, transform our lives or change our view of ourselves and others?

Look at the vessel you have. Don’t criticize or critique it…just look. Now ask God to give you His eyes for that vessel.  He sees it too. He’s not criticizing or critiquing because He sees what’s in it.  Beautiful. Pure. Holy.   

A temple.  Do you see it? 


No comments:

Post a Comment