Tuesday, May 29, 2012

30 Days to a Better Me...?

Have you noticed that every self-help or self-improvement fad out there promises results in just 30 days.  Why 30 days?  My guess is that since most of us think of one month as 30 days (although if you know the nursery rhyme, this doesn't apply to Jan, March, May, July, August, October, and December), we figure we can do anything for 30 days...AND since we live in a culture of immediate gradification, 30 days- just one month- doesn't seem too long to wait for results.

In our 30 day mentality, what we fail to realize is that- biblically speaking- 40 days is better.  In the Bible, 40 days is significant.  Just to name a few... it rained on Noah for 40 days, Jesus was in the wilderness for 40 days, the resurrected Jesus walked on the earth for 40 days before ascending to heaven. 

I need a better me.  I want a better me.  So, 30 days just won't do.  I'm going to use the best self-improvement guide I know (notice I didn't say self-help because I'm way past helping myself).  I'm going to take a cue from God's book and see what can happen in 40 days. 

I will try my best to chronicle my journey for the next 40 days. What exactly am I going to do?  I'm not sure, so I may be as surprised as you to see what happens. 

I will start tomorrow- May 30th.  Day 40 will be July 8th.  Interestingly enough July 8th is the day I leave for a mission trip.  Hmmm...I didn't plan that, but I'm sure God did!

To the next 40 days...

No comments:

Post a Comment