Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The More Things Change...

Have you ever noticed that nothing ever stays the same?  Here is what two people- smarter than I- say about change:
“The more things change, the more they stay the same.” - Alphonse Karr
“Just when I think I have learned the way to live, life changes.”- Hugh Prather

For me the second quote rings very true.  Transition has been a constant theme in my life over the last 6 ½  years.  Sometimes the transitions have been good, other times very hard.  The transitions have ranged from ones caused by a specific calling from the Lord to ones that were the result of decisions made by other people.  Transitions can be easy or they can be hard.  They can be positive or negative. Transitions can take on many forms, but the bottom line is they mean change. 

The definition of transition: a process or period in which something undergoes a change and passes from one state, stage, form, or activity to another
Synonyms for transition: change, evolution, conversion, alteration, modification

The inclination for all of us (I think) is to see transition as a negative – or at least an inconvenient- part of life.  The reality is it’s just a part of life.  If we can look at transition in light of its other meanings, and not just the change part, I think we can find a more positive spin on it.

For instance:  
Evolution means that we’ve developed (or grown) from our earlier form.  One thing is true in any major transition we undergo- we evolve and grow.  Our faith will grow deeper in transition.
Conversion- nothing could be more important.  Think of Saul and his conversion from a hater of Jesus to being not only a follower but one of the most important evangelists for the Christian faith. 
Alteration means that a difference is made in something.  I like to think that with every external transition I’ve experienced, God has used it to make something different in me.
Modification is my favorite in the list.  Modification means to change something for the sake of improving it.

So…my external transitions have ranged from good to bad, easy to hard, led by the Lord to those far from God’s plan.
But, if all those changes have helped me evolve, grow, and somehow -in even some small way- look more like Jesus, then they’ve all been worth it. 

As my life goes through even more transitions- moving, sending one son off to college (just to name two on the list of many!), I will see them as an opportunity for God to do a work in me.  The work may not be comfortable for me, but it will most certainly be good.

As a side note, I take great comfort in knowing that no matter what changes for me, the Lord will be the same. 
MALACHAI 3:6- “I the Lord do not change.”
HEBREWS 13:8- “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.”

I will take liberties with the quote from Alphonse Karr above and say this instead, “The more things change, the more HE stays the same.”
Transitions will happen, but thankfully He won’t. 

No comments:

Post a Comment