Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Who Are You?

The question “who are you?” many times turns to “what do you do?”  or even “how do you feel?”
"Who are you"- for me- sounds something like this…
I’m a mom
I’m tired
I’m a teacher/pastor
I’m busy
I’m old
I’m tired…oh, I’m repeating myself
You get the point…

As Christians- and especially as disciple makers- we know in our heads that none of those kinds of things tell who we really are.  They are just external descriptions or internal feelings.  But, we still do it to ourselves, don’t we?  We define who we are with answers that don’t really answer the question.  I do it often, and so many times I find myself having to repeat something I’ve told the kids- “Only the Creator can name His creation.”  So with that in mind, who does God say I am…who does God say you are?

He says,
You are loved, accepted, an heir, never alone, chosen, holy, blameless, a new creation, His workmanship, loved.  I’m repeating myself again, but that last one is worth repeating…
We are loved.  You are loved.  I am loved.  We are loved. 

In the midst of being a mom, being tired, and getting older…I am loved by my Creator.  He doesn’t see me for what I do or how I feel about myself.  He sees me the way He created me- as HIS.

No matter how you’re defining yourself today, just remember the most important definition comes from the One who matters most. 
So…just for today (or maybe through this week), whenever we think about who we are, or how we’re feeling, maybe we should answer ourselves with one word- HIS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment