Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A Simple Thank You Isn't Enough

When our kids are young we teach them to say thank you.  It becomes a thing of pride when our child not quite even two says thank you, sounding more like "tank choo" in most cases.  As they get older we sometimes hold back - or even snatch back- something we're givng them until they remember those two special words.  As they get older still we give them the "stink eye" the raised eyebrow, or say a sarcastic "you're welcome" when there is no verbal thank you given in its proper time. 

This brings me to a question.  If we are so adamant that our children say thank you at every possible moment, why are we so negligent in saying it ourselves?

Now, if you're a product of the proper South like me, you mind your p's and q's, remembering to say thank you as you are served in a restaurant or as someone holds open a door for you.  As a product of good upbringing you most often remember to end every phone conversation or email with the proper 'thank you'  as well. 

All that is just good manners, but I still think we are a thank-less brood as a whole.  Maybe the words are just habit without any real meaning behind them. 

So why do we teach them to our children in the first place?  Is it so they are polite and we look good as parents, or do we really want them to mean it?  I hope its the latter, but I'm not so sure it's worked. 

I find that my children -or anyone else in my life- seem most grateful when the words 'thank you' don't even pass their lips.  A truly grateful heart is evident in the way we choose to live.  Being good stewards of what God has given us, spending time with the people in our lives, letting more praise than complaint pass our lips- those all speak of gratefulness louder and better than the two magic words ever could.

So...are we saying 'thank you' to God enough- not with the words, but with our actions?  I don't want God to give me the stink eye, a raised eyebrow, or snatch something away to get my attention.  I want to live with the grateful heart that He deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment